Establishing a Trust—What is the Role of the Trustee
Acting in the role of a trustee is not an easy position. The specific powers and responsibilities depend on the instructions in your trust documents. Although important, the prudent investment of trust assets is not a trustee’s only responsibility. Generally, a trustee will have the following duties:
- Invest the trust assets
- Hold trust property
- Distribute trust income and/or principal to the named beneficiaries, as
Described in the trust agreement
- Make tax decisions concerning the trust
- Maintain records of all transactions
- Provide statements of account and tax reports to the trust beneficiaries
- Answer any questions of the beneficiaries concerning the trust
The role of the trustee may be broad or have limited powers. The trustee is a fiduciary and must follow a strict standard of care when performing trust functions.
Contact our offices in Clearwater or Tampa so we can assist you with your immigration cases. We look forward to providing you the best legal representation you deserve.