Qualifications for Cancellation of Removal for Permanent Residents
If you are a lawful permanent resident and are placed in removal/deportation proceedings, you may be eligible for cancellation of removal for lawful permanent residents. This type of relief (defense) is available for you if your case is in front of a U.S. immigration judge. If you are successful, you will be able to keep your green card. In order to be eligible, you must prove that you:
- have been a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. for at least five years at the time that the application is filed
- have continually resided in the U.S.for at least seven years after being admitted in any status and before the “stop-time rule” is triggered (discussed further below)
- have not been convicted of an aggravated felony
- have not received cancellation of removal or 212(c) relief in the past, and
- as a matter of discretion, deserve to win your case and keep your green card.To win your case you should have lots of documentation and evidence, including credible witnesses that are willing to testify on your behalf. This type of relief/defense is only available one time in your lifetime, so should you be successful then get into criminal trouble later, you are no longer eligible.
Contact our office today to go over the details of your immigration case. We have convenient offices located in Clearwater 727.712.2299 and Tampa 813.279.6180 to serve your needs. Visit our website at http://www.immigrationattorneytampa.net